Saturday, May 05, 2007

With apologies to Aaron Sorkin

Alberto Gonzales: You want answers?

Committee: We think we're entitled to them.

Alberto Gonzales: You want answers?

Committee: We want the truth!

Alberto Gonzales: You can't handle the truth! We live in a country that has laws. And those laws have to be manipulated and controlled by those in power. Who's gonna do it? You? You, the committee? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for free-thinking attorneys and you curse the conservatives. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that the firing of these attorneys, while poorly handled, probably strengthened administrative loyalty. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, benefits conservatism...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want to have the power to manipulate the law. You need the law.We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a committee who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very laws that I manipulate, then questions the manner in which I manipulate them! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you find the power to manipulate the laws you way you want. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Committee: Did you fire the attorneys for partisan reasons?

Alberto Gonzales: (quietly) I did what the President wanted.

Committee: Did you fire the attorneys for partisan reasons?

Alberto Gonzales: You're goddamn right I did!!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only problem here, firing the attorneys for partisan reasons is perfectly legal, moral, and normal.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger PurplePol said...

I beg to differ. Attorneys can be removed for "poor performance". Partisanship is not under that umbrella or shouldn't be.

 
At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but by definition, U.S. Attorneys are political appointees, who must be confirmed by the Senate. They, like all federal appointees, serve at the pleasure of the President. It has always been that way.

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And if it shouldn't be this way, then we'll need to change the U.S. Constitution. Oh wait! I forgot. We don't our Constitution anymore, so maybe you're right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home